Felipe Escalona is part of Galindo, Arias & Lopez since 2008, and focuses his practice in the areas of Aviation, Corporate and Commercial Law, Banking, Insurance and Capital Market, and Project and Assets Finance.
Felipe counsel clients – the majority of which are multinational corporations- on the establishment of their business operations in Panama. He frequently participates in complex project finance transactions, provides crucial advice to companies in a range o industries and sectors such as aviation, insurance, construction, real estate, banking and goods of mass consumption, and is regularly involved in the financing and acquisition of airplanes.
He takes a business -minded approach that allows him to offer practical solutions that are tailored to his client’s business objectives. Among his clients are included numerous well-known local and foreign companies spanning all key sectors of Panamanian economy, as well as, large multinational corporations based in Latin America, Europe and United States.
- Advised Copa Airlines in the financing, lease, and registration of four (4) Boeing 737-800 aircrafts, under the “Japanese Operating Leases with Call Option” (JOLCO) structure.
- Advised Turkish Airlines in connection with the establishment of the Company’s branch in Panama and all needed permits to operate the route Istanbul-Bogota-Panama.
- Advised Servair, a subsidiary of Air France, in the establishment of a catering airline unit in the Republic of Panama.
Articles and Publications
- “Aviation Industry Growth”, published in the IFLR Review (May 2016)
- Panama Correspondent for the Brazilian aviation magazine “Flap International”, since 2008.
- Author of various articles regarding both civil and commercial aviation in Panama and across Latin America, which have been reproduced in various publications in the aeronautical industry.
Recognition and Awards
- Recognized as Corporate and M&A “recommended lawyer” by the fourth edition of the Legal 500 Latin America (2015).
- Included in IFLR’s Financial and Corporate Guide 2014, as one of the three recommended lawyers in aviation, and the only one for insurance in Panama.
- Master in Business Administration, MBA, Instituto de Empresa Business School, Madrid, Spain (2008)
- Bachelor of Law and Political Science, Magna Cum Laude, Universidad Cátolica Santa María la Antigua (USMA), Panama (2007)
Tel: +507 303-0303
Fax: +507 303-0434
October 11, 2012
GALA counseled Copa Airlines in the financing, lease and registration of fourteen (14) Boeing 737-800 aircrafts delivered from November 2011 until October 2012.
December 18, 2011
Advised Copa Airlines and AeroRepública in the extension of interchange agreements of most of its Embraer fleet and its approval by financial institutions and relevant authorities.